26/08/2019 by BANDON DENTAL
Healthy Alternatives To Consider Instead of Energy Drinks For Better Teeth
It was announced today that sports and energy drinks can cause damage to teeth that could be irreversible. Tooth enamel ends up eroding because of the high acidity level of the beverages. Enamel is crucial to keep teeth protected to decay and cavities.Teenagers seem to be the age group most at risk as they consume the most sports and energy drinks.
It only take just 5 days for the enamel to start eroding after energy drink consumption (which cause greater potential damage than sports drinks). Patients should consider minimising their intake of sports and energy drinks. If you do drink them, it’s advised to rinse your mouth out with water or chew gum. To avoid the acid spreading on teeth surfaces and causing erosion, it is advised to wait an hour to brush teeth after drinking sports and energy drinks.
Some healthy alternatives to increase energy and protect teeth are:
- DRINK MORE WATER. Dehydration saps energy levels so staying hydrated is important.
- Take a nap for 20 minutes
- Eat food high in iron including nuts, dark chocolate, oysters, and spinach
- Take a quick 10-minute walk
- Eat healthy carbohydrates like oatmeal and apples